NEC Facts and Figures
The Northeast Region:
- Is home to 51 million people (1 in 7 Americans) and is expected to grow to approximately 58 million by 2040.
- Generates 1/5th of the nation's Gross Domestic Product.
The Northeast Corridor is heavily traveled:
- 2,220 passenger trains use the NEC daily. View Train Animation
- 70 freight trains use the NEC daily (over 14 million car-miles of freight per year).
- 720,000 people ride along some part of the corridor each day.
- In 2011, there were 11 million passengers on Amtrak's Northeast Regional and Acela Express services.
- NEC riders account for 69 percent of the combined airline and rail market between Washington, DC and New York City and 51 percent between New York and Boston.
The NEC is 457 miles long and has:
The current NEC took nearly a century to build. It was built by several railroad companies between 1830 and 1917.